NORTHERN AFRICA REGIONAL MEETING 2019
Theme: Empowering youth and ensuring inclusiveness in the sustainable use of forests in enhancing food security
PROFILE OF IFSA AND NARM
IFSA is an acronym that stands for International Forestry Students’ Association. IFSA is a nonpolitical, non-religious and not for profit organization that connects forestry students from all over the world in a wide spectrum of activities. It is the vision of IFSA to engender global cooperation among students of forest and related sciences in order to broaden knowledge and understanding to achieve a sustainable future for our forests, and to provide a voice for youth in international forest policy processes. IFSA strives to provide platform for students of forest sciences to enrich their formal education, promote cultural understanding by encouraging collaboration with international partner organizations and facilitating students in gaining practical experiences with a wider and more global perspective. Through its network, IFSA encourages student meetings, enables participation in scientific debates, and supports the involvement of youth in decision making processes and international forest and environmental policy.
NORTHERN AFRICA REGIONAL MEETING
IFSA activities are organized at both international and regional levels. The Northern Africa Region, per IFSA description, has been one of such structures that holds yearly meeting, dubbed Northern Africa Regional Meeting (NARM), with the motive of fulfilling the vision and mission of IFSA but with much focus on issues pertaining to the region. The region consists of universities where local committees are planted and are registered members of IFSA in certain countries in Africa. Such countries include Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Sierra Leone, Mali, Cameroon, Morocco and Algeria. Some other Regions in the world are also welcome to participate in the NARM such as European Countries, Northern America, and Asia etc.
The 2019 Northern Africa Regional Meeting (NARM) of International Forestry Students’ Association (IFSA) is specially planned to engage, informed and create awareness among African youths, especially young foresters and professionals on the global goals as highlighted in SDGs. The meeting will create a meeting point and forum to engage in intellectual discourse among youth, professionals and general public interested in protection and sustainable management of African forests in enhancing food security for the present and future generations.
Goal of the Meeting
The forum is aimed at engaging forestry students, young professionals and general public in intellectual discourse on how African youths can be empowered to ensure sustainable use of forest to enhance food security. Most importantly, the roles of forestry students, young forestry professionals and other related discipline will be identified through paper presentations, panel discussions, technical sessions, field trips as well as capacity building workshops.
The meeting hopes to do the following:
- To build commitment towards the achievement of sustainable use of the forest.
- To strengthen the capacity of the youth through education, to meet the challenges of food security.
The meeting will endeavor to feature the following key activities
- IFSA/ IUFRO Workshops
- Hands-on training with forest experts and scientists
- Training on food security in ensuring zero hunger of the SDGs by 2030.
- Plenary sessions
At end of the meeting, NARM 19 hopes to achieve the following:
- Ultimately, the realization of capacity building of youth to undertake forest and food security related activities.
- To equip the youth to be responsible managers of the natural resources (forest, land and water) for the attainment of Sustainable Development Goals.
- Filling of information, knowledge and communication gaps on sustainable use of forest in attaining food security.
NARM19 is open to about 150 participants from, especially, Northern Africa Region: Ghana, Guinea, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Liberia as well as other participants from different regions and other interested stakeholders. The meeting is designed to cover the entire Universities in Sierra Leone.
Pursuant to this high level meeting, we kindly appeal to your Organization to offer the following assistance as a partner of NARM19:
- A session in any form appropriate with the participants on the topic: “Green jobs and sustainability- what does it means to you?”
- Financial support to assist us to able to foot the cost of holding this event. The assistance would help subsidize the participation fee for students’ attendance to the event. Hence, this will help reduce the financial burden on the part of some students and enhance patronage. Sponsorship will go towards funding expenses related to the conference.
- The created official website of the meeting is: www.narm19.wordpress.com.
- Updates on NARM19 will also be launched on the following social media platform: Facebook: NARM19, IFSA’s Facebook page and twitter: @NARM19.
- Information would also be shared via WhatsApp groups.
Local Organizing Committee
Natural Resources Management Students’ Association (NaRMSA) -Njala University on behalf of International Forestry Students Association (IFSA) would organize the 2019 Northern Africa Regional meeting.
- Date: June 2, 2019 - June 7, 2019